Friday, November 7, 2008

Lincoln is Coming Home

The last couple of days have been full of progress and happiness for the family. We were glad to have Dad McDowell up for the weekend. Here he is holding Lincoln. Carter is still as cute as ever and loves to be held by his Dad (he likes his mom too, but Dad is best!)

As for an update -

Lincoln is coming home today and was circumcised (ouch!) today. Over the last week he was moved to an open crib, wore his first clothes (doesn't he look like an old fisherman?), and got his low jack placed on his leg so he couldn't be stolen. He is eating well and growing (gained 7 ounces in the last 6 days) and his cheeks are starting to fill out. He continues to be our little Rockstar.

Tatum is now over her infection, off all the ventilators and assisted oxygen and is now taking bottle feeds. She is so much happier. She was very cranky with the tubes down her throat - often inconsolable as she pulled and pulled on the but couldn't make them budge. On Tuesday we were able to hold her for the first time - precious moments. She is now in an open crib and in clothes as she is regulating her own body temperature as well. With how much progress she is making we are hoping she will be coming home in a couple of days.

Carter is also doing well. He is over at Children's Hospital and will have his surgery Wednesday morning. The plan is to repair his coarct, close his PDA, and place a band around his pulmonary artery to narrow it slightly. The goal of all that is to improve his blood flow, improve breathing and allow him to grow well for the next couple of months. Later, (anywhere from 2-6 months) he will have his VSD (he actually has 2 of them) closed and the pulmonary band removed when he will be bigger, making it safer for him to be placed on a bipass machine for the next surgery. We are confident in his doctors and expect it all to go well. Hopefully he won't be in the hospital too much longer.

24 comments:

Parmelee said...

Yay.........1 baby home 2 more to go. at least they are breaking you in slowly! anytime you need a nap, or laundry or dishes done, call me and I'll come help. so glad eveyone is getting better!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! Im so glad you keep us updated in the blogging world, all three babies are adorable, so very tiny!! You are all in our prayers, have fun with a baby at home!

Claydens said...

I'm SO coming over! I have been dying to see you and your babies, sorry I couldn't get to you sooner! Hope you're feeling good, you look great!

Teri said...

YEAH!!!! We are so happy and excited for you guys. Please let us know how we can help out!

Daniel & Kelli McDowell Family said...

HOORAY!!! We are so excited for you to experience more of what parenthood is like -you kind of got all of the worrying in full force up front. Now that you're practiced at that you can experience stuff like 24 hour responsibility! :o) I'll write more later.
LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU,
Kelli (and Dan and the girls)

Annie Carie said...

That is so awesome you guys!! I'm so happy for you! I'm sure Tatum will be home with you soon! We'll Carter and all of you in our prayers and hearts.

Love Carianne Vidaurri
Those babies are so adorable!!

Erin & Matt said...

Wow- your kiddos are making terrific progress! Congrats!

Skousen Family! said...

YEAH!!! way to go little rockstar.... I am so glad you posted new pictures I look everyday for an update. Keep fighting Tatum and Carter you have cousins and aunties and uncles that want to meet you and hold you guys so bad!! you are in our prayers we love you!

Amy said...

That is so great! They are just so precious, Good luck with you first few days of a baby being home. i am sure you guys will do great!

joe said...

Jen-
Okay, first of all, you look amazing!!! And, I'm so excited that the babes are growing and doing well.
We'll keep you in our prayers, Denton always says, "And bless ALLLLL the babies" (that you guys). hang in there!
~Shelli

The Kemptons said...

That is wonderful. They are beautiful.

William and Marianne said...

yeah! so glad everyone is doing so well =) how do you both look so good??

The Carlson Crew said...

Oh, HOORAY!!! I'm sitting here looking at the babies and bawling. I'm the real baby. I'm so glad everyone is improving so quickly. I can't believe how much BIGGER they already look. Good luck with Lincoln home, and please call me if you need help. I'll even just come and hold Lincoln if you want :)

Bert and Benton said...

yay!! I'm so happy for guys to get to have a baby at home! so exciting and you git ti hold tatum, what a long wait, i could only imagine. you guys look great!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I am so glad things are looking up for all three of them. They look so cute! And Jeni, no you did not just have three babies. Gag me.

Dana said...

Yay Ben and Jen! I'm so excited you got to bring Lincoln home! Kristen told me about your blog so I'm excited I can stay up to date on you guys a little better and see the pics. Can't wait to meet them all!

Stockwells said...

Jen,
I am SO SO jealous!! I was so HUGE when I had the twins and I was like playdoh!! If you touched any were on my body it was like playdoh an indent would stay there for minutes literally.. I had so much swelling from all the water. You really look awesome. I am glad you have one of your babes home.. Were you nervous to take him home so little, We were when we were able to take the twins home after 14 NICU days. I bet it is hard with one at home and the others at 2 different hospitals. I pray that the surgery will go well and that you will all be home together soon. Please call if you need any help or rides or food.
Love,
Jen

Laura said...

I'm so glad things are going well. They are beautiful babies, and Jen you look fabulous!

Flaherty Fam said...

They are so adorable. That's so exciting that Carter got to come home. From the pics, the kids definately look like little McDowells.

Skinners said...

Hooray! We keep you all in our prayers! Glad to hear everyone is doing so much better. PLEASE call if you need anything...dinner, diaper changer, etc!

jennifer flaherty said...

We are so happy for you two and that Lincoln has come home we are waiting for the news of Tatum and Carter was included in our fast and prayers today. I know you will be great parents and that Anne is very proud of you both too as is Jim.We are looking forward to an update!Glad mom is doing better and is healthy. We Love You Jen, Jack and kids

Jim and Monica McDowell said...

We are so glad that they are breaking you in slowly. How have the first nights been? Our prayers continue to be with you and all the babes,but especially with Tatum and Carter. Good luck Wednesday.

Brimhall Family said...

They are so cute! I'm glad to hear lincoln got to go home. I'm so happy for you it's so much fun to be a Mom. I'm always thinking about you guys. Abby prays for Carter every night, we pray for Tatum and Lincoln too.

Colton and Ashley said...

Wow! Sounds like a lot! Glad Linc is coming home! Hopefully the other 2 will soon follow! Good Luck!