Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Independence, Liberty and Far West

We made our trip out of a long weekend. Even though there was supposed to be severe storms the day we were to leave- we still left. We drove out about 3AM.. easiest to drive when kids sleep even if we don't get to. Made it to Independence around 8AM ( I think) and stopped for breakfast. Got ready for the day and headed to the Visitor's Center. We took a little tour, but of course the playing at the end was the highlight for the kids and most camera appropriate. Here are the kids in the wagon and ready to go!

Across the street from the Visitor's Center was the Community of Christ church (RLDS) which had a very elaborate building. From what I learned, this was built for Christ to come down when he returns... humm. But the land dedicated for the temple is also owned by that church and is just off to the left and across the street from this building. We'll all have to watch how that unfolds in the future.
Next stop was Liberty Jail.
I am not a history buff- It is good for me to see the actual locations of where things take place so I can put it together with what I read and try to remember. I was just shocked at how this jail is set up and the living conditions.
Yah, I've read about it but I guess never got a good picture in my head. On our tour, we were told most prisoners only stayed here for a few days, so the terrible conditions usually weren't a big concern. Well, The Prophet and others were here for months and months. Amazing people survived. The Boys being in jail..


And off to Far West. Did everyone else know this Temple Site is in the middle of no where? I had no idea. It was a beautiful area. The cornerstone's are all in place and ready to be built upon. Kids were all asleep in the car (even Pete had to be woken up) so it was a quick stop.





We tried to make it to Haun's Mill- but the civic just wouldn't have it!
We stopped in Kirksville to eat and play with Chrissy's sister which was a blast and perfect break for us. The roads were a little to crazy and bumpy for us. Linc's stomach didn't handle it too well, so we calmed down and had a chance to clean up and eat some yummy food. Then finished our drive to Nauvoo. We were driving along the Mississippi and knew Nauvoo was coming up, but you turn the corner and the Temple is just glowing at the top of the hill. It was Amazing!! A great greeting to the city. I'll have to get some more pics up the next time a get a break and don't want to accomplish much. So until then..

4 comments:

Trevor and Heather Caffall said...

Oh thanks for the pictures! It takes me back to the wonderful feelings and testimony building experiences I had there! I'm so glad you took that trip. What fun!

William and Marianne said...

how fun! the weather looks awesome!

The Carlson Crew said...

Our poor civic...do you think Ben will ever forgive us (me) for not braving it?

Amy said...

You Guys can fit 3 carseats in the back of your Civic!?!?!? Wow!